Monday 17 May 2010

Being the change we want to see...

The ImpACT coalition is shortly to launch its transparency and accountability manifesto, calling on leaders across the sector to get serious about the commitment to being honest and open about our business and how we operate.

Number 8 on the list is for organisations to agree that it is important that they publish an easily accessible suggestions and complaints procedure for beneficiaries and supporters.

I was reminded of the necessity for this only too clearly whilst visiting an elderly relative recently. She told me that a volunteer had been helping her from a local elderly care charity. Whilst the volunteer had been very successful at helping her get the benefits she deserved she didn’t like the way the volunteer often talked to benefits staff on the phone, “she was very rude to them and quite aggressive and on more than one occasion she said I was her mother, which I didn’t really like”. When asked whether she had complained her story was sadly too familiar, “I didn’t like too. She did get me the money I need; besides, I didn’t really know how… she gave me lots of leaflets about how to complain about my benefits but nothing about her organisation.”

It strikes me that we are often in the position of trying to advocate on behalf of those we work with, strengthening and empowering them, but we afford them the same view of our organisations are we are hoping they will get of the statutory services.

Morally most charities would find it hard to argue, but maybe we should also go further. What about publishing how many complaints a charity has each year? A short summary of the type of things and how the organisation plans to address them… True accountability starts at home; maybe it is time for us to take the lead in being the change we want to see…

No comments:

Post a Comment